Thursday 6 September 2012

Blog 12! Life's a drama on Old Compton Street!

Hey there,

Happy Thursday!

It's nice to see that the Sun has decided to make an appearance again. I was beginning to think that the nice weather was over and we were very well on the downwards slope towards winter! I cant believe that we are already a week into September - only 110 days until Christmas (not that I'm counting or anything).

Well, this week has been as busy as ever. It's amazing how I actually manage to fit so much in considering I'm at work for nine hours of each day.

I had my friend Donna down for the weekend which was really nice. It gave us a chance to catch up on the goss (those of you that know me, know that I LOVE a bit of gossip), have a chill and also enjoy a good night out on Saturday night. We also met Heidi on Saturday, who we both used to work with at Mercia for Breakfast which actually turned into Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, all within two hours. Honestly, I had never so full in all my life. To give you an idea of how much we ate (bearing in mind it is just a Cafe), the bill came to £62!!!!! We had Eggs and Bread and Cake and Coffee and Juice and more Coffee....!

Once we'd finished our mahoosive meal, me and Donna parted with Heidi (she was very tempted to phone in sick so she could join us on our mega night out) to take a browse in some of the shops along Oxford Street... basically, it was just another excuse to spend some more money!!

I decided to show Donna the delights of Soho on a Saturday night. We started off in a little pub called Molly Moggs (just off Charing Cross Road). I always love the atmosphere in there. It's only a very small pub which seems to attract all sorts of different characters including an Elvis impersonator, several drag queens and the odd straight person - quite rare for Soho! After a bit of Karaoke action (I wasn't drunk enough at that point to get up and sing), we were ready to head in the thick of it all... Old Compton Street.

Remember me talking about 'Soho Cinders' in my last blog? I've still got the songs in my head! Where better to give my rendition that on Old Compton Street itself. I managed to flag down one of the Rickshaw (basically a bike with a bench on the back) guys to give me a lift to the next bar (about 5 doors down) which he agreed to do for free. So there I was, with Donna running behind, singing at the top of our voices 'Life's a Drama on Old Compton Street'. It's fair to say, we got a few looks, a few smiles and even a few cheers. I'm such a clown sometimes!

I actually remembered bumping into Bev Rudd, who is part of the cast of Soho Cinders, as I was singing out loud... she seemed to be enjoying my rendition. She even tweeted me to tell me it 'made her night'. Think she might have been lying though!

Here is a snippet of the song from the show, just so you can see how addictive it is:


Whilst on the subject of Musicals, It's really sad to see that so many of the West End musicals are closing down. I work next door to the Palladium and where 'The Wizard of Oz' was playing until last weekend. It's been a big moving week for them and its sad to see them removing part of the set each day (even though I didn't overly like the show.

The other ones that have posted notices to close are: Shrek (making way for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Chicago, GHOST, Blood Brothers, Sweeney Todd and Dreamboats and Petticoats.


I'm hoping that these shows are just making way for new, upcoming and exciting productions and not just the fact that the West End is dying from loss of profit!
In last week's blog, I mentioned that I was going for an audition to be part of an amateur production of 'How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying' (It's such a mouthful). I actually decided against it in the end. I read more into it and decided that it wasn't really for me... and plus, I am rubbish at doing an American accent!! So, I decided to leave this one for now and wait for one that appeals to me more to come up... I'll keep you updated.

I'm off back to Coventry tomorrow, actually cant wait to catch up with family and friends. I have another busy week coming up so expect to hear about the 'Fashion Night Out' (tonight) and the 'Team GB Parade' (Monday).

Have a great week.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment